Mad March



In Adelaide they call it ‘Mad March’ and now, I know why.

March is ridiculously busy in the city, there is so much going on, so much to see and do that you cannot fit it all in.

I tried to see as much as I could during the Fringe Festival and only managed to get to 18 shows, 2 of which were in the International Festival. I am used to being in the privileged position of getting comps to watch shows and I did manage to get a few thanks to my new friends however, I would have loved to have seen a lot more work but it was just too expensive.  In Edinburgh I would normally see 18 shows in 2/3 days!

Again, March was a very busy month work wise. We took  photos of the Macbeth Ensemble for Foul Play,  we did a publicity shoot for the Bakehouse production of Kate Mulvany’s The Web and I put in a funding bid for Research and development for Foul Play’s production of Macbeth.  I also held two evenings one for each of the Macbeth’s ensemble to read through Macbeth which was very interesting indeed. So far, there is already a massive difference between the male and female ensemble and the way in which they approached the read through. I have decided to keep a diary of the events and the different ways in which they respond and then possibly create document about it all at the end of the process. Unfortunately, We found out that our unexpected City funding bid was unsuccessful however, we are still going to a smaller scale version of the pop up events throughout the year in our build to our Macbeth production in 2014.

I cannot believe that I almost forgot to mention that we (Shona Benson and I) launched the Directors Collective of South Australia this month and what a fantastic launch it was. It was hosted by the State Theatre Company we had a panel discussion about the ‘craft of the director’ chaired by Anne Thompson with Geordie Brookman (STC), Paulo Castro (Stone/Castro),  Glenn Hayden (UrbanMyth) and PJ Rose (No Strings Attached) speaking.
We had a great turnout of directors and I left feeling very inspired from all the conversations.