Foul Play's Macbeth 2014

Jacqy Phillips as the female Macbeth
I am the Artistic Director for Foul Play and in early 2014 we presented two stagings of the same version of our heavily reimagined Macbeth with two casts; an all female and all male ensmeble. I have not heard of another theatre company having done this before!
Patrick Frost as the male Macbeth

Foul Play’s Macbeth was an exploration and an interrogation, not only of Shakespeare’s Macbeth, but also negotiating how to rehearse two ensembles at the same time especially, when not everyone was able to rehearse full time or even for half of the time! There is so much more that I want to say about this process and this production, however, I am struggling to write anything of real value whilst I am still trying to process it all. So there will be another post on this at some point…


In the meantime, please do take a look at the gallery pictures and here's a review.